Data stories and what we interpret from them?

Today was a difficult day, my iron level dropped but the discussion around data statics, lower achieving BAME students at attainment levels compared to their white counterparts is becoming a very boring topic of discussion. How many times do I have to sit in these meetings to go over the obvious. In order for a democracy or capitalist system to work, someone has to lose or be exploited. In this sector, the white elite have the stronghold and position and power to accredit those they feel will continue this trajectory. Although my lecturers hosting the session were empathetic which I completely appreciated, its not comforting as the very change they spoke of to which they see taking place is not actually taking place, as the language they used to describe the students in question was actually offensive -BAME, who still references BAME in the black/brown communities?

But what was great is that I highlighted this within the chat and this allowed for more voices to be heard and a discussion to be had which was positive.

At the breakout the question: What interventions, policies and connections did you discuss?

The answers were really insightful as demonstrated below:

SystemicThe lack of representation at a senior level is a problem. You can get practitioners of colour into lower grade positions, but they aren’t supported. And that is a direct result of the broader systemic issue . Also, a more inclusive approach across the board. Being more inclusive for those with SpLDs, other mental health disabilities, sensory disabilities, communication disabilities, or those who don’t identify with a gender binary, those who do not identify as heterosexual. We need to see representation of all of these diverse positionalities in our university.

Having looked at dashboard data previously, international students who are disabled gained higher awards than their non-disabled counterparts in 2017/18, 2018/19 and 2019/20. Similarly, disabled BAME students had higher awards than non-disabled students in 2017/18 and 2018/19 – most notably in 2018/19 when disabled 65% of BAME students were awarded a 2.1 or 1st compared to just 54% of non-disabled BAME students.

Does this indicate that the inclusive practices that support disabled students may also be supportive for other marginalised students? Would love to hear ideas/thoughts.

Hiring non white lecturers, position of power. external speakers to do assessments. hiring non white , higher diversity of external speakersincreasing diversity within the curriculum for references, more accessible. help a broader range of students.Board of governors and trustees., at the director level, change of these positions only happens when people want to step down. Maybe have a time limit on this power positions. Refresh every 5years.

PipelineLack of familial support is a huge factor, why aren’t we investing more time and money in early stages of the student life-cycle and including their families.

I’m no respecter of person, but I’m a respecter of facts, data and statistics because there in lies the truth as uncomfortable as it is. Academia is a long way to go in comparison to other industry sectors such the creative industry in ‘leveling up’ the playing field both in profession and achievement for all. It’s 2022 for goodness sake where is the pedeogdy of compassion here?!